[Parentenews] NMMI E-News 24 October 2014

Parent E-News parentenews at mailman2.nmmi.edu
Fri Oct 24 17:15:23 MDT 2014

________________________________
New Mexico Military Institute Parent E-Newsletter<http://wordpress.nmmi.edu/parents>
________________________________

The mission of NMMI is to educate, train, and prepare
young men and women to be leaders capable of critical thinking
 and sound analysis, leaders who possess uncompromising character,
and leaders able to meet challenging physical demands
________________________________
[cid:image006.png at 01CFB32F.396F6430]“Like” us, and encourage everyone connected to NMMI to join and do the same!
https://www.facebook.com/NewMexicoMilitary
https://www.facebook.com/NMMI.Parents

ANNOUNCEMENT ON EBOLA

As a boarding school that attracts students from all over the world and sends students on a variety of state, national, and international programs, NMMI carefully tracks international current events to make sure we are prepared to support our cadets. We are monitoring the Ebola epidemic in West Africa and in the areas of the U.S. where it has appeared, and our Health Services team, in coordination with local and state health officials, is taking all necessary precautions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our cadets, faculty and staff.

Although the risk of contracting Ebola is extremely low, our medical staff is trained and ready to respond quickly to any infectious disease outbreak. Knowing that NMMI cadets and families travel all over the world, our health services team is carefully monitoring the campus community. We are following recommendations from the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as those from state and local departments of health and professional health organizations for independent schools, colleges, and universities.

What follows are some frequently asked questions and answers about Ebola:

What is Ebola?
Ebola is a severe, often fatal, disease, discovered in 1976 near the Ebola River in the Democratic Republic of Congo. There have been a number of outbreaks since its identification. The current outbreak has been ongoing in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone for several months.

How is Ebola transmitted?
It is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads from human to human through direct contact, as when broken skin or mucous membranes come into contact with blood, bodily secretions, or needles contaminated with infected bodily fluids. Ebola is NOT airborne, food-borne, or waterborne. A person is infectious to others only when they have symptoms of illness.

What are the symptoms of Ebola?
Symptoms begin abruptly with fever, malaise, and headache, with diarrhea about five days later. Symptoms usually occur 8–10 days after direct contact with bodily substances of an infected person. The incubation period may be up to 21 days, but does not extend beyond this.

What happens if a cadet, faculty, or staff member who has been exposed to Ebola gets seriously ill?
In the unlikely event that this situation arises, we would follow the recommendations of the New Mexico Department of Public Health -- if the cadet knows that he or she was exposed to a person with Ebola within the previous 21 days. It is important to stress that even if cadets coming from one of the affected areas in West Africa or an area in the U.S. where Ebola has appeared report what appear to be relevant symptoms (fever, headache, diarrhea), these individuals are not considered a suspected case unless they have known exposure to Ebola.

What does a cadet, faculty or staff member do if he or she starts to feel sick?
If a cadet, faculty, staff member or family member experiences symptoms of any infectious illness (including flu) before coming to campus after a break, they should delay their return until they have recovered and are no longer contagious. If they experience signs of illness while on campus, especially fever, vomiting, or diarrhea; severe pain or weakness; or unusual bleeding or bruising, they should consult promptly with NMMI's Health Services staff at the Marshall Hall infirmary (575-624-8235)

Where can I get more information?
The Centers for Disease Control
New Mexico Department of Health
World Health Organization

Carl K Hansen
CW3, US Army Ret
Director of Marketing/Public Information Officer

ACCORDING TO THE CDC FLU ACTIVITY MOST COMMONLY PEAKS BETWEEN DECEMBER AND FEBRUARY; HOWEVER, SEASONAL FLU ACTIVITY CAN BEGIN AS EARLY AS OCTOBER AND CONTINUE TO OCCUR AS LATE AS MAY.

PLEASE GET A FLU SHOT!

Don't Wait!  Make Holiday Travel plans TODAY!

CADETS MAY NOT STAY ON CAMPUS DURING THANKSGIVING, CHRISTMAS, OR SPRING BREAKS!

Please note NMMI does not manage holiday transportation, you must contact New Mexico Texas Coaches, LLC for details and pricing.

The bus companies are not responsible for delayed or cancelled flights and are not obligated to hold bus departures from the airport. We always recommend that cadets arrive at the airport well before bus departure times for return to Roswell.  PLEASE CALL THE BUS COMPANY FOR DEPARTURE AND RETURN TIMES.

NMMI provides a shuttle to Roswell airport with departures from campus on the same days and times for cadets departing from campus to Albuquerque (see previous paragraph for times). NMMI does not provide a shuttle for returning cadets after breaks from Roswell airport due to limited resources and multiple arrivals.

Sunshine Cab Company, (575) 910-3400, provides local transportation. The city of Roswell also operates local city buses and cadets in uniform may ride the city buses for free if they are in uniform.

Galaxy Transportation, LLC – a local transportation company, will continue to provide limited transportation options to cadets during holiday breaks. Contact Michael Peacock, Operations Manager, at (575) 637-8550 or visithttp://www.galaxyshuttles.com/nmmi.html for more information (see enclosed flier for more information).

NMMI DOES NOT MANAGE BUS SERVICES

Final Exam Schedule
Fall 2014 final exam schedule can be found under the announcements section of the Registrar’s webpage: http://www.nmmi.edu/reg/

Transcripts may also be ordered from this page.