[Parentenews] New Mexico Military Institute

NMMI Parent E-News desmond at nmmi.edu
Fri Apr 13 17:26:00 CDT 2007

ALL LINKS CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.NMMI.EDU

Drama Troupe Offers “Backstage Tour”:
This weekend Drama Troupe will offer a “backstage tour” of what it takes to put on a show.  Cadets will also share their love of music, performance and even jump roping.   The second part of the show will feature the one-act comedy “Nobody Sleeps” by Guernsey LaPelly (given through a special arrangement with Samuel French Publishing, Inc.)   The show will be held this Saturday, April 14, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.  Come out and support the cadets for their one day “season.”

Spring Concert Program Set:
The NMMI Music Department will present its annual spring concert on Thursday, April 19 at 7 p.m., in Pearson Auditorium.  Admission is free and guests are encouraged to arrive early.   The concert will feature The Headquarters Live! Jazz Band, male, female and mixed vocal ensembles and the NMMI concert band.  To find out more about the musical selections for the concert, please visit the article on our News Link.

NMMI Vocal Ensemble Performs at NBA Game:
The NMMI Cadet Vocal Ensemble was recently honored with the opportunity to sing the National Anthem for a nationally televised Indiana Pacers/Boston Celtics game in Indianapolis.  To find out more about this special opportunity for cadets, check out the article on our News Link.

Cadet Named Daniels Scholar:
We are pleased to announce that NMMI Cadet Morgan Thomas was named a Daniels Scholar by the Daniels Fund in Denver, Colorado.   Being designated a Daniels Scholar gives students significant funding to attending the college or university of his or her choice.  To find out more about Cadet Thomas and what this prestigious honor will mean for her, visit the article on our News Link.

Memorandums from the Commandant Regarding Commencement:
Commencement is right around the corner!  The Commandant of Cadets has posted information for parents regarding the graduation schedule and clarification on departures following graduation.  Please review the memos, which have been posted on the Parents Web site, for further information.

Ruppert-Burton Speech Contest:
The 82nd annual Ruppert-Burton Speech Competition was held Wednesday, April 11 at the Daniels Leadership Center. MAJ Jeffery Boyd, Communications Department Chair, offered his congratulations to the following cadets who participated:  Chris Glavis, Casey Wolfe, Amy Tow, Angela Ross, Inhaeng Jung, and Antonio Noriega.  MAJ Boyd said that these cadets delivered some very dynamic speeches and did an excellent job of showcasing the quality of student public speaking at NMMI.  The winners of the contest will be officially announced and prizes will be given at the Ceremony of Academic Excellence on May 10.

New Jet Service to Roswell:
Since many of our cadets and their families live a significant distance from Roswell, we wanted to pass along the exciting news that regional jet service between Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) and Roswell is close to reality and could begin as early as September.  We have posted the press release on our Parents Web site and will keep you up-to-date as new details arise.

Athletics:
As always, if you haven’t gotten your weekly dose of Institute sports, be sure to check out the Weekly Athletics Newsletter for all the latest news, scores and highlights.